Saturday, March 16, 2019

Fly's Top Ten Favorite Treats


Hey Tribe,

For the most part, Fly is a treat motivated gal.  She has her favorites, she has some she will only eat if she’s in the mood, and she has some that are reserved for specific times or situations.  I thought it would be fun to let you inside our cupboard and give you a chance to know our girl a bit better.


#10
Smoked Pig Ears from American Farms.  Fly will only eat these if she is in the mood, which is rare.  Usually when I give her one, she frowns at me, holds the ear in her mouth like she wishes she had hands to carry it, and proceeds to bury it under her bed or a rug.  The ears are slightly greasy, so I have to remove the ear from its place of buried shame before it sweats its grease all over the place.  In the rare event she does eat it, she’s absolutely in love with it’s smoky flavor and parchment-esq appearance.  Be warned: the ear flakes into several dozen tiny pieces as she crunches on it; Fly can’t be bothered to clean up after herself, so I, the human servant, must follow after with a vacuum.


#9
American cheese slices.  As a baby, Fly ate bits of these cheese squares for her reward when we were training to sit and down and leash walk.  I would leave them on the counter to air out and become brittle and then put them in my pocket so I could break off tiny pieces to dole out to her.  They worked well, with enough flavor to be tempting, and I could manage the size of the piece I gave her.  Two slices would last us an entire 20-minute training session, if I broke up the pieces small enough.  The nice thing about using these cheese slices is that I already had them in my fridge; a downside is that the slices become a tiny bit greasy when left out to dry, so I had to be careful about which pocket I put the slice into or use a bag.


#8
Jerky Treats with American Beef.  These babies are our go-to snack for everyday consumption.  I always have a stick or two in my jacket or pants pocket when we go outside for any reason or go for car rides and store visits.  I break off a tiny piece from the stick to reward her for correct behaviors.  The sticks aren’t greasy (yay), they smell decent, and are flat and easily pocket friendly.  They do dry out and become hard and rock-like if left in your pocket for a few days – this doesn’t bother Fly, but it does make them more difficult to break into smaller pieces for portion control.

Full size treat vs. the size piece Fly actually gets.

#7
Rawhide Rolls.  Fly’s most common treat, besides #8 are rawhide rolls.  She will ask for one in the evenings as the family is reading or watching TV.  They are her self-selected activity treat and she usually has two or three spread about the house in varying degrees of chewedness.  One roll will usually last a few weeks to a month before she chews it down to a small 4-inch nub that I throw away, for fear of her swallowing it whole and choking on it.  To be honest, I do not like the raw hides for that very reason.  It is too easy for her to chew off a chunk and swallow it and possibly choke; she is never allowed to have these unsupervised.


#6
Dental Chews.  I brush Fly’s teeth in the evenings before we go to bed, but sometimes I am pretty tired or just not up to the 10 minute ritual of cleaning her teeth.  Enter the Dental Chews.  There are several brands and Fly likes them all.  To make a box last longer, I break the chews into two pieces and she gets half one night and the second half another night.  She likes them well enough that she cleans up the crumbs by herself, which is nice, because she usually jumps up into my bed to eat them.  They come in a resealable bag, which I recommend you take the extra two seconds to properly close, as these will also dry out and become rock hard if exposed to air for too long.  Don’t want to break Fly’s teeth, just clean them.


#5
Peanut Butter Pretzels.  If Fly even hears these rattle about in their container from across the house, she will be sitting and demanding one before you even have the container open for yourself.  We’ve taken to hiding two or three about the house and then telling her to “Find” and she eagerly searches for her beloved people snacks.  I’m pretty sure TheFather now buys them for Fly, rather than for us.  Once Fly has one in her mouth, she likes to roll it about on her tongue, savoring the salty goodness, before crunching through the baked pretzel to taste the peanut butter morsel hidden within its shell.  Watching her, you’d think you were observing a connoisseur of fine snacking treats.


#4
Zukes Mini Naturals, Chicken.  These little pebble like treats are already the perfect size to give to Fly, so I don’t have to break them up as I reward her for good behavior.  We use them solely when clipping her nails.  She sees and smells the bag and knows what we will be doing.  It’s a ritual and it seems to work.  Fly adores these little pellets of deliciousness and they smell like they would indeed be tasty if I were a dog.  She willingly rolls onto her back so I can have easy access to her paws and I give her a Zuke every two or three nails that are clipped; she works it around in her mouth with easy pleasure and I don’t have to worry that she is going to choke on such a small piece while lying on her back.  I have my hands full of clippers and paws, so being able to easily grab a small treat is a welcome luxury.

(Sorry, no pic, we're out of these treats at the moment)

#3
String Cheese.  Not much can capture Fly’s attention when she is excited about something else.  Except for string cheese: it is like a siren song to her.  We use these sticks of cheese solely for Barn Hunt.  Fly is always a bit a lot excited when we sit in the blind, waiting for our turn, with the close proximity of other dogs she isn’t allowed to play with and the musky scent of rats hanging thick in the air.  It’s just too much for her.  She screams and whines and barks out her feelings for the entire building to hear, until I whip out a stick of string cheese – then she is all attentive and eagerly licks her lips in anticipation of the cheese.  I open just the top and let her lick and chew the top of the cheese and make her work to get down through the plastic to the rest of the cheese stick as I hold it for her.  Depending on our run order, I can make a single stick last until it is our turn, unless we run last, then we will be out of cheese stick and she’s back to screaming with impatience.  Oh well.  Maybe they will think twice about making us run last every. single. time.


#2
Fish.  Freeze dried fish, to be exact.  We had left over salmon and halibut fillets that were going uneaten in our freezer, so TheMother cut them into bite sized pieces and popped them into our home freeze dryer.  They came out perfectly dry, non oily, and held their shape relatively well.  Fly loves them.  She takes her time eating the fish, so as to get as much out of each bite as possible.  I use them for serious training, such as Search and Rescue training.  She is willing to work for her “salmon,” as I generically call it, and it has become a very high value prize for her; as such, I usually reserve it for when I really need her to work for me.  “Salmon” = serious business + serious rewards.

These pieces are pretty big and I'd probably break them in half as I give them to her.

#1 Chicken
To say Fly loves chicken would be an inexcusable understatement.  She would do anything for chicken.  Her love for chicken is worthy of poetry.  Chicken pieces, in a plastic baggie, helped us successfully practice for our CGC test, because she was so focused on my pocket that she didn’t have a single thought for the dogs and sounds around her.  TheMother and I are very picky about our consumption of chicken – no fat or bloody spots or anything other than pure meat – and Fly reaps the benefits of this, because she is given all our cast offs.  TheMother will put the scraps on a plate and microwave them until cooked.  Fly knows what is happening and will sit staring up at the microwave as it turns her beloved chicken around and around; she is not patient as the chicken cast-offs cool and will frantically make known her demands as she prances in front of the cooling plate.  When offered her heart’s desire, she doesn’t bother chewing, but practically inhales the chicken as if she needed it more than air.  Chicken is not something to be savored, but a thing that is to be absorbed into her very essence.


#0
Finally, it is necessary that I point out that there is not a treat in the world that is of any interest to Fly if she is focused on a perceived enemy or danger.  She will literally spit steak out of her mouth or ignore it entirely, as if to say, "ain't nobody got time for snacks right now."  There is no competing with her genetic heritage: it is the most frustrating thing about Karelians and exactly why I love the breed.

See that bag of trail mix at her feet?  Not even interested.

So there you have our top ten treats and a bit of insight into the mind and personality that is Fly.

Yes, she loves berries too.  Maybe we will do an all natural treat post?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts