Saturday, February 3, 2018

Hiking with a Karelian Bear Dog

Hi there!

Hiking with a Karelian Bear Dog is not like hiking with any ol’ dog or another human.  It is a hybrid: part companion, part tool for protection.  I know I am secure with a KBD around me.


The first bear I ever encountered with a Karelian was sudden and insightful.  We were hiking along a very brushy section of the woods, toward late afternoon/evening and were passed by a trail runner and his medium sized shorthaired mix-breed dog.  They ran on past us and out of sight.  About 5 minutes later, we passed the spot where I had seen them go around a bend and my KBD suddenly darted off the trail to the right.  He was blindingly fast and I was rather surprised.  Even more surprised when a black bear leaped up from behind a bush about 5 feet from the trail and ran farther into the woods, being chased by my fearless dog.  Both were silent, except for the crash of twigs and leaves under their speeding paws.  I had two simultaneous thoughts: “That bear was waiting for us.” and “My dog is going to chase it for miles.”  However, just as fast as he had taken off, the Karelian stopped – he was about 30 yards off the trail, with the bear another 10 yards beyond him – and the bear stopped.  The bear then spun around and faced him, but my KBD barked and the bear stood still.  Then my dog glanced back at me, backed up a step in my direction, and barked again at the bear.  I got the message and sidestepped down the trail, past where the bear had been, while the dog kept himself between the bear (who didn’t look like it was enjoying the experience and just wanted to leave, but was afraid to move) and me.  After I’d gone another 10 yards, I called my dog and he slowly backed his way to me and we carried on with our hike.  My nerves and adrenalin were in full force and I kept glancing behind me every few steps, but the Karelian was as calm as ever: he just resumed his casual saunter down the trail, as if nothing had happened.

  
That trail, Crow Pass, is 23 miles long (which I’ll write more about later).  We encountered 4 more black bears before we were finished; each time the bears were either on the trail or close to it and each time the KBD swiftly, efficiently, and quietly pushed the bears off the trail just far enough for me to safely pass.  Seriously, it was awesome.


Fly and I hike on leash in populated areas and off leash when we are out and away from crowded trails.  Karelians are natural roamers and will go out from you searching and exploring while keeping loosely with you, if that makes sense.  This is easier in the alpine, where I can see Fly from a great distance away.  In the woods, I like to have her in front of me on the trail, so she can push bears or get to whatever may be in the trail ahead of me.  Fly is learning to go in front, but stop at bends in the trail until she sees me again and then continue.  We are also working on her going out from me and then coming back to me, over and over again throughout our hike.  She gets a treat each time she returns to check-in with me.  Regardless, don’t expect a KBD to follow along at your heels while hiking – that’s not how they operate.


The reason I don’t like to have Fly on a leash is that I need her to be ready to protect me at any moment.  If I would have had my KBD on a leash that late afternoon, he wouldn’t have been able to immediately and proactively push the bear away from the trail.  A leash could get caught in the underbrush, tangle around legs, and hamper the dog’s ability to be agile enough to stay out of harm. 


Take away lessons:
·        Karelian Bear Dogs are hyper aware of their surroundings, even if they look relaxed.  That trail runner and, more importantly, his dog totally missed the fact that they ran within claw’s reach of a very large black bear.
·      Karelians will act swiftly and without being told.  They will take charge.  That’s ok with me, since I was temporarily frozen in fear.
·      My KBD wasn’t trying to harass wildlife, just push it safely away from me: exactly what I need/want. 
·      He didn’t keep running and chasing for miles.  Nor did he run, tail between his legs, back toward me when the bear turned and faced him: he stopped, barked, and stood his ground.  The last thing I want is for my dog to lead an angry bear back to where I’m standing, so I can get mauled.
·      Karelians will roam up, down, and around the trail.
·      Leashes can be useful, but they can also be a potentially harmful hindrance.
*I’m not saying you shouldn’t have your dog on a leash, please use common sense, follow rules, and know your dog’s level of training.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts