Saturday, January 5, 2019

Rope Slip Leads



Hey Tribe,

Are you using a slip lead for your training or everyday dog walks?  If not, why not?! No collar is needed: it’s an all in one system of leash and collar and it’s quick to put on and take off the dog.  I won’t go into detail about how to use a slip lead - you can learn that from the expert, Cesar Millan, here.  He uses them extensively, so why not mimic the expert, am I right?

Put it on this way: P for perfect.

That side eye!

Adjust the loop size.

Keep it up high on the neck, not down low where it will choke if tugged.

Fly learned how to loose-leash walk and heel using this type of leash, because it is so simple to use.  She willingly sticks her head through the loop, because she knows a walk, or treats (or both) is about to happen.  We use a slip lead for Barn Hunt, because of the blindingly fast ease of taking it off, so she can hunt “naked” (a requirement), without the hassle of waiting for my nervous fingers to fumble with a collar buckle release.



I love that I can effortlessly slip the lead on or off Fly, and it’s a great leash to use for quick potty trips outside at -20* or for running errands around town in the car.  This particular lead, from a local shop, is the absolutely perfect length for Fly’s day-to-day use.  It isn’t too long that we get tangled; actually, the rope material lends itself to being nearly tangle free at this length and mine has never tangled once.  Not once.


Can I point out the obvious here and remark about the gorgeous color?!  It is really popping against the snow these days; I’m eager to take it up into the alpine this summer, because I can envision how marvelous it is going to look in contrast to all the moss and lichen.


The knots are unbelievably strong and are not going to come undone on you, unless you really work at it (but why would you do that?).  The material is like climbing rope, which does not easily fray and I am confident it is going to hold together and be especially durable for many years to come.  That’s saying something, because Fly is pretty rough on our gear as she dashes though underbrush and scrapes against rocks.  This rope lead would be an easy DIY project and would make great gifts for dog friends.  I'll be heading to our local hardware or home improvement store to find some rope!




It has an appropriately sized handle, which is not too big for my bare hand and is not too small to allow use with my thick winter gloves.  I always feel like I have a good grip using the handle loop, which means I’m confident Fly isn’t going to pull it out of my hand if she unexpectedly darts off after a squirrel.




Fly and I have been using slip leads since she was a small pup and it has quickly become my #1 favorite go-to leash for everyday use.  I’m excited to try making my own, because I can see myself stocking every vehicle I own with one, as well as hanging one at the front and back doors at home.


If you try one for yourself, let me know what you think of it.  I’m betting you’re going to love it as much as I do!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts