Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Finding Freedom in Hiking Alone - A Day At Hatch Peak


Hey Tribe,

Yesterday was Labor Day and I, like a great deal of Americans, had the day off from work.  So, what are a girl and her dog to do on a glorious late summer day when not at work?  Go hiking, of course!  The only problem was, nobody was willing to go with me.  Undeterred, I decided Fly and I would go by ourselves.  Normally, I fear going alone: what if I hurt myself, or what if I meet people with evil intent, or I’d have nobody to talk to, or I’d have nobody with whom to share the experience, etc.  However, I have realized that I cannot put off what I want to do, because this is my life, I won’t get a second chance, and I only have so many days before my journey on Earth is finished – so instead of waiting for others, I will rely on myself for happiness and do the things I want to do.  Like hiking on a sunny Monday morning. 


The drive was uneventful – most adventuring folks had driven to their destinations after work on Friday and wouldn’t be back on the road until this afternoon.  We did pass a few motorhomes making their way out of the pass, getting an early start for home I suppose, but most of the mountain range was steeped in sleepy quiet.

Only a few people at Summit Lake

We hit the switchbacks leading up to April Bowl just as the sun began to rise over the ridge of the mountain; as we climbed, so did the ridgeline and so did the sun, allowing us to experience an extended sunrise that lasted for our entire climb up the mountainside.


April Bowl lakes were looking especially beautiful, like gemstones around the neck of Hatch Peak.  Their waters reflected the nearly cloudless sky and were a perfectly deep clear blue.  Only the slightest of breezes graced the bowl, keeping the air fresh, and preserving the mirror-like surface that I so greatly appreciate when admiring any mountain lake.


Even on the ridge, the wind was not as forceful as it usually is in the area, so Fly and I were able to traverse the ridgeline in relative comfort.  We met a guy who overtook us during our ascent; we chatted at a mutual rest break as I took off my jacket and stuffed it into my pack.  The morning was warming.  He pointed out across toward Willow and asked if the mountains in the distance were Mt. McKinley.  I tried not to grin too much and pointed in the correct direction, saying Mt. McKinley was one, singular, tall peak, not a mountain range, and that it should be visible from the top of Hatch peak on a clear day like today.

April Bowl

Hatch Peak is the second on the right.

Once Fly and I were properly above the bowl, with the majority of the climb completed, the walking was easier and we could see sweeping views in all directions.  It was pleasant to amble along in silence, enjoying the sunshine, realizing the day was mine and I could use it as I pleased.  I wasn’t on a schedule, didn’t have to be anywhere at a certain time, and had no true destination.  Nobody’s opinion mattered but my own.  We were headed for Hatch Peak, but would we stop there, or continue the ridge to Government Peak, or drop down some unexplored valley – who knew?  The wide expanse of the Talkeetna mountains fueled my joy at how wide open my choices were and the freedom was exhilarating.

Looking out over the Matanuska river and the Knik river beyond it.


My shadow waves hello to the lakes in April Bowl.

There were some early hikers lounging at the top of Hatch Peak.  One woman asked what kind of dog Fly was – we get this question a lot – and after I told her, I added that she was good at keeping bears away from me.  To which the woman replied, “So it sounds like we’re hiking with you for the rest of the day.”  Her group and I all had a good chuckle and I bid them farewell as Fly and I moved down the opposite slope to sit in the warm sunshine and have our summit snack.

Summit selfie.

Sure enough, Mt. McKinley was out in all it's glory.


Trying to get at a ground squirrel.

Alpine contentment is one of my favorite feelings: it comes when I am sitting high up on the side of a mountain, nestled comfortably on the crispy yet soft moss and lichen, listening to the whisper of the wind and scratch of unseen tiny non-scary insects.  I get drowsy and indolent.  Time could pass or stand still and it all seems one and the same, because I am unhurried and quiet both in body and mind.  Alpine contentment is a wonderful experience.  I looked at Fly; she looked at me; we both seemed to share a moment that was only for us.


Slowly, eventually, we roused and I decided it was time for us to begin our return journey.  More hikers were making their way up the ridge and I wanted to maintain our feeling of solitude, so we dipped off the ridge slightly and traversed the alpine slope back toward the bowl before regaining the trail.




After savoring one final moment near the sapphire blue lakes, Fly and I quietly retraced the switchbacks down the mountain to the now fully packed parking lot that was bustling with children, dogs, and excited tourists who were all hurrying to make the most of what was left of their holiday.  I on the other hand, felt no rush. 




What I did feel was the knowledge that I can be content with my own thoughts, can rely on myself in unfamiliar territory, and that hiking can be just as enjoyable if I have a human companion or if I am alone with Fly.  However, if I didn’t have Fly…



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts