Saturday, April 13, 2019

Intro to Avalanche Training


Hey Tribe!

Allow me to make a prediction: Fly will make an excellent avalanche search dog.  No, it isn’t simply hubris prattle from an over-confident, over-proud dog mom – she really does have a talent for pinpointing beings hidden underneath the snow.

Future Avy Dog

Our K9 SAR team met in Hatcher Pass for an all-day avalanche training with our dogs.  An eternity of time was spent digging caves in the deep snow that blankets the gentle slopes just below Independence Mine.  We dug pits.  We dug caves.  We dug up snow berms.  By the time we were finished, the area was a tumultuous debris field of snow blocks and hidden pockets of air.

Every year, people are caught in avalanches in this area.

Then, one by one, the handlers and their dogs came to search the area, not knowing which caves or sections had “avalanche victims” and which did not.  The eager dog would be set loose to run and search a wide area as the owner hustled behind as best as could be managed in the sun-softened snow.

Fly and other teammates watch as a puppy gets her turn.

Fly’s long awaited turn finally arrived.  First, being the social butterfly that she is, she had to greet the other dogs and then was ready to get serious and get to work.  I knew there were two “victims” we had to find.

Fly getting ready to work

With confidence, I gave the word “Search!” and Fly dashed from my feet with rocket propulsion and straight to a pile of snow blocks.  She barked and began digging and I slid and clawed my way to her shouting “Good Search!”  When I arrived, she stopped digging and looked at me as if to say, “I found someone and I let you know where – it’s your job to do the heavy digging.”  So, I dug into the snow while Fly impatiently danced from paw to paw until I had an opening just barely large enough for her to worm through and get at the person hidden in the cave.  Fish treats were rapidly doled out by the laughing “victim” and Fly emerged out of the cave with freeze dried fish flakes on her muzzle and a twinkle in her eye.

Dig, dig, dig

“Search more!” I excitedly told her and Fly immediately sprang away and over the glistening snowfield.  She passed by one possible cave with barely a pause and stopped abruptly at another where she sniffed hurriedly and again began barking and digging at the snow.  “Yes!” I gasped as I climbed to join her digging efforts and again she waited for me to clear enough snow for her to get at the human and the fishy treats under the deep, compacted snow.

Going in for the treats.

This snow dog, who loves to hunt unseen beings under the snow, has found a game she completely loves!  Her entire demeanor broadcast her smug satisfaction with herself as she watched the remaining teammates take their turns.

Just look at that face 

I am excited for next winter, so we can continue to play this game of hide-and-seek under the snow.  I see a lot more avalanche training in our future!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts