Saturday, September 11, 2021

First Race

Hey Tribe,

Rex and I tried something new today - we entered a Dryland Mushing race!

Dryland Mushing is dog "sled" racing with wheels, such as a bike or a scooter, and without snow. 

We are not a speedy team: Rex runs at an easy pace he could maintain for miles and miles and is slow enough I wouldn't be seriously injured if we crashed.  Our lack of speed worried me, not because I knew we wouldn't "win," but because if we were too slow a team behind us might lap us on the trail; Rex can be reactive to other dogs, especially when he is on a lead, and I really didn't want him to pick a fight with another racing team.

However, today, I think he felt my eagerness and he put some pep in his step and we raced.  We really raced!  So much so that we caught up to the team ahead of us and passed them, with Rex not even glancing at the gray husky.  I was so relieved and happy and had such fun as we cruised through the trees toward the finish line.

Rex is such a good boy and I am so proud of him.  He always tries his best and we have a lot of fun together, no matter what we're doing.  I can't wait to enter another race with him as my partner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts