Thursday, July 5, 2018

Gold Cord Lake Trail

Hi there!

Reports of record temperatures for Southcentral Alaska had Fly panting and me searching for a cool hike.  I knew the snow in Hatcher Pass had just recently melted, so I thought we would go see how much ice was left on Gold Cord lake.  It is a hike TheNurse and I had done in late summer last year and I love seeing places in different seasons, so I was excited to see spring with its snow and ice this time.


TheMother agreed to go with me, since it was such a nice day.  The establishment that manages the Independence Mine State Park will only let one person drive a vehicle with a State Park pass up to the parking lot (pass holders must pay another fee here for every other person in the vehicle, which is a total scam, in my opinion), so I had TheMother drop Fly and me off outside the gate and while she drove up to the parking lot, Fly and I hiked up there and avoided the fee of riding in the vehicle.  The hike is about a mile long, uphill, and got our blood pumping in the cool morning misty air.  We passed other tourists who were walking down from the mine – others who had elected to not pay the fee – and I reveled in their compliments about how beautiful Fly looked: those compliments will never get wearisome to my ears.  We found TheMother, re-organized all our gear (snacks and water mostly) to fit into my backpack, and headed for the trailhead.


The hike is neither difficult nor lengthy (2 miles round trip).  Though the lake lies hidden from view on a shelf in between two mountains, the destination is visible from the trailhead.  Regardless, it is a beautiful journey that leads sightseers along a cheerful creek and around large boulders before starting the ascent.  About half way up, there is an old sod cabin that is slowly decaying back into the mountain from whence it came.  Metal was added to it later in its life, but that too is in decline.  It’s a neat little one-room affair that visitors can freely enter as they please and I am happy that there isn’t any apparent destruction or graffiti on the 90 year old hut.  I suppose evil do-ers and delinquents can’t be bothered to hike up the hill.







After the cabin, the real work begins.  Short switchbacks make the 600ft climb easier; there are little polite signs requesting would-be short-cutters to stay on the trail, but people are jerks and there are muddy trails that cut up the bank, unfortunately.  Please stay on the trails, visitors, it isn't a race and you aren't impressing anyone with your mountain goat skills.



Ice and snow still held the lake in their power and I was delighted with the snowy scene on this warm July day.  We post holed through the snow a bit, ate our snacks, chatted with the one other group that was up there, and then started back down the trail just as a light rain began to fall on us.  I dug out my rain jacket for TheMother to use and we carefully picked our way down the slightly muddy trail.

Today (July 5th)

Last year (August 2nd)

That reflection though...


Out of the snow, the heather and mosses of the alpine were in full bloom and their musk hung heavily in the air.  It was fragrant, fresh, and completely fulfilling.  An Arctic Ground Squirrel harassed Fly sorely: its chirps mocked her and she was tormented mercilessly as we made our way back to the trailhead.  The prey drive is strong in this girl.

The switchbacks down the trail.



Independence Mine

So tempting.

I need to make it a point to return to Hatcher Pass more often next spring (July) to further experience what an alpine springtime has to offer.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts